MUSC Recreation Referee
How to become a Referee for MUSC Recreation Program
(More detailed information on process follows this list)
Complete Referee Course through How to become a Referee “Grassroots Online Course” Certification
Register as a Recreation Referee through MontclairSoccer.com
Send an e-mail to [email protected] with your contact information (see Continued section below with details)
Attend an MUSC Referee orientation (at start of season, makeups by request) and receive free uniform and whistle
Familiarize yourself with our unique program rules of play for each age group and our referee/league policies
Fill out a W-9 and submit to 2 Pleasant Ave. Montclair NJ 07042 attn: Gretchen Burr in order to be paid
Send an e-mail to [email protected] with your availability to work during the upcoming Saturday
You will be assigned to shadow a referee for your 1st two games (Paid)
Print your first time sheet and bring it to your games.
After they have been filled out and signed, email a photo of it to [email protected] and include your SSN on the first timesheet to be added to payroll.
Your first paycheck will arrive 7-10 business days after timesheet is received
Referees will be observed randomly throughout the season to award a $5/game raise to reliable, engaged, and knowledgeable referees.
NJ Refs Grassroots Referee Certification
- If you would like to become a referee for the MUSC recreation program, you must first obtain a "Grassroots Referee" license by completing the US Soccer Referee course offered through the New Jersey Referee Committee. This class is geared toward the youth referee who wants to start officiating recreational games, as well as working as an assistant referee for competitive travel games up to U14.
- Entry Grassroot Referee classes can be completed through https://www.njrefs.com/wiki/become-a-referee/
NOTE FOR FALL 2022
*** You can work as a NEW JR REFEREE immediately upon completion of the In-Person Class/Test with NJSRC when you show proof of being signed up for (but before attending) the On-Field Training with NJSRC.
This accommodation is being made because we have been made aware there are very limited in person training sessions available this season. NEW Jr Referees will not be able to work alone or receive pay raises until they complete the On-Field training and become fully licensed USSF referees.
Registering as a Ref with Montclair United Soccer Club
Step 1: You must register as a recreational referee through our website at www.montclairsoccer.com. If you have played for MUSC before, the registration process through the website is the same as if you were signing up as a player. Be sure your contact information is correct as our e-mails are sent via the contact information in your registration.
Step 2: You must send an e-mail to this address, [email protected], and include...
- You must attend our New Referee's Orientation before you can be assigned games. It is required that you attend because it is at this meeting that you will learn about our referee policies, how to get on the schedule, what to do in case of uncommon problems. You will need to bring your badge to this meeting to show the assignor.
- If you are joining us in the middle of a season, please contact us at [email protected], to set up an orientation meeting.
- At the new referee orientation you will receive your referee uniform and whistle (for free) and there are no other mandatory uniforms or equipment needed to ref with MUSC.
Getting Ready for Your First Games
- Before going out to the fields,you must READ the customized Rules of the Game that we use in our recreation program at MUSC. Each age group has specific rules, so study the appropriate division rules.
- MUSC RECREATION REFEREE RULES & POLICIES
Getting on the Schedule
- You must send in your availability each week during the season to [email protected] .
- Do not send an email before the Sunday of the upcoming week.
- Do not send in one general “I am available from 9-12 every Saturday” because you will likely be left off of the next schedules. Even if you plan on always being able to work--still re-send an availability each week.
- Feel free to make requests to work with specific age groups
- In order to be paid you must complete a W-9 form, available by clicking here, and deliver it to
- 2 Pleasant Ave. Montclair NJ 07042 Attention: Gretchen Burr or Email it to [email protected]
- Each week you will need to print out a Time Sheet, and bring it to your games to fill out (yourself) and have signed by coaches after each game.
- To be paid speedily, we recommend taking a photo of your timesheet immediately after your last game of the day and email it straight to [email protected]
- Paper checks should be delivered to your home 7-10 business days from the day you email your timesheet.